Primary unknown cancer is a diagnosis made when doctors are unable to pinpoint the onset of the cancer.
- Most often, cancer is diagnosed when doctors find out where the cancer started (primary tumor). If the cancer has spread (metastasized), these spots could also be discovered.
- For an unknown primary carcinoma, also known as occult primary cancer, doctors find the cancer cells that are spreading throughout the body, but they cannot find the primary tumor.
- Doctors consider the location of the primary tumor when choosing the most appropriate treatments. So if an unknown primary cancer is discovered, doctors work to identify the location of the primary tumor.Carcinoma of unknown primary Treatment Nizamabad
The signs and symptoms of cancer of unknown origin depend on the part of the body affected. In general, they can include:
- A lump that can be felt through the skin
- Changes in bowel habits such as new and persistent constipation or diarrhea
- Frequent urination
- to cough
- Night sweats
- Lose weight without trying
Cancer usually develops when cells make changes (mutations) in their DNA. The DNA contains instructions that tell cells what to do. Certain mutations can cause a cell to multiply uncontrollably and continue to live when normal cells die. In this case, the abnormal cells build up and form a tumor. Tumor cells can break off and spread to other parts of the body (metastasize).Carcinoma of unknown primary Treatment Nizamabad
- In unknown primary carcinomas, cancer cells are found that spread to other parts of the body. However, the original tumor is not found.
- This can happen when:
- The original cancer is too small to be detected by imaging tests
The original cancer was killed by the body’s immune system
The original cancer was removed during surgery for another condition
The risk of unknown primary cancer could be related to:
- An older age. This type of cancer is most likely to occur in people over the age of 60.
- Family history of cancer. There is some evidence that an unknown primary carcinoma could be linked to a familial cancer affecting the lungs, kidney, or colon.Carcinoma of unknown primary Treatment Nizamabad