Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by pressure on the median nerve. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway surrounded by bones and ligaments on the side of the palm. When the median nerve is compressed, numbness, tingling, and weakness may occur in the hand and arm.
- The anatomy of your wrist, health issues, and possibly repetitive hand movements can all contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Proper treatment usually relieves tingling and numbness, and restores wrist and hand function.Carpal tunnel syndrome Treatment Nizamabad
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome usually start gradually and include:
- Tingling or numbness. You may notice tingling and numbness in your fingers or hand. Usually the thumb and forefinger, middle or ring finger are affected, but not your little finger. You may feel an electric shock in those fingers.
- The feeling can travel from your wrist to your arm. These symptoms are common when holding a steering wheel, phone, or newspaper, or being able to wake you up.
- Many people “shake” their hands to relieve their symptoms. The feeling of numbness can become constant over time.
- Weakness. You can feel weakness in your hand and let things drop. This may be due to numbness in the hand or weakness of the squeezing muscles in the thumb, which are also controlled by the median nerve.Carpal tunnel syndrome Treatment Nizamabad
Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by pressure on the median nerve.
- The median nerve runs from your forearm to your hand through a passage in your wrist (carpal tunnel). It feels on the side of the palm of your thumb and fingers, except for the little finger. It also provides nerve signals to help move the muscles around the base of your thumb (motor skills).
- Anything that presses or irritates the median nerve in the carpal tunnel space can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome. A wrist fracture can narrow the carpal tunnel and irritate the nerve, as can the swelling and inflammation caused by rheumatoid arthritis.
- Often there is no single cause for carpal tunnel syndrome. A combination of risk factors can contribute to the development of the disease.
A number of factors have been linked to carpal tunnel syndrome. Although they do not directly cause carpal tunnel syndrome, they can increase the risk of irritation or damage to the median nerve. These include:
- Anatomical factors. A fracture or dislocation of the wrist or arthritis that deforms small bones in the wrist can alter the space in the carpal tunnel and put pressure on the median nerve.
- People with smaller carpal tunnels may be more likely to have carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Sex. Carpal tunnel syndrome is generally more common in women. This may be because the carpal tunnel area is relatively smaller in women than in men.
- Women with carpal tunnel syndrome may also have smaller carpal tunnels than women who don’t.
- Nerve damaging conditions. Some chronic diseases, such as diabetes, increase the risk of nerve damage, including damage to the median nerve.Carpal tunnel syndrome Treatment Nizamabad
There are no proven strategies for preventing carpal tunnel syndrome, but you can minimize the strain on your hands and wrists using the following methods:
- Reduce your strength and loosen your grip. For example, if your job involves a cash register or keyboard, gently press the keys. For longer handwriting, use a large pen with an oversized soft-grip adapter and liquid ink.
- Take short, frequent breaks. Regularly stretch and bend your hands and wrists gently. Alternative tasks if possible. This is especially important when using devices that vibrate or require great force. Just a few minutes an hour can make a difference.
- Observe your shape and avoid bending your wrist completely up or down. A relaxed intermediate position is preferable. Keep your keyboard at elbow height or a little lower.
- Improve your posture. Bad posture causes your shoulders to roll forward, shorten the muscles in your neck and shoulders, and compress the nerves in your neck. It can affect your wrists, fingers, and hands and cause neck pain.Carpal tunnel syndrome Treatment Nizamabad