Dementia describes a group of symptoms that affect memory, thinking, and social skills so badly that they interfere with your daily life. It is not a specific disease, but different diseases can cause dementia.
Although dementia is usually associated with memory loss, there are several causes of memory loss. Just memory loss doesn’t mean you have dementia.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the leading cause of progressive dementia in the elderly, but there are a number of causes of dementia. Depending on the cause, some symptoms of dementia may be reversible.Dementia treatment Nizamabad
The symptoms of dementia vary depending on the cause. The most common signs and symptoms include:Dementia treatment Nizamabad
- Cognitive changes
- Memory loss usually noticed by a spouse or other person
- Difficulty communicating or finding words
- Difficulty with visual and spatial skills, e.g. B. to get lost while driving
- Difficulty thinking or solving problems
- Difficulty managing complex tasks
- Difficulty planning and organizing
- Difficulties in coordination and motor functions
- Confusion and disorientation
- Psychological changes
- Personality changes
- Inadequate behaviour
Dementia is caused by damage to or loss of nerve cells and their connections in the brain. Depending on the area of the brain affected by the damage, dementia can affect people differently and cause different symptoms.
- Dementia diseases are often grouped together based on what they have in common, e.g. B. based on the proteins deposited in the brain or the affected part of the brain.
There are many factors that can potentially contribute to dementia. Some factors such as age cannot be changed. Others can be approached to reduce your risk.
- Risk factors that cannot be changed
- Age. The risk increases with age, especially after 65 years. However, dementia is not a normal part of aging, and dementia can occur in younger people.
- Family history. If you have a family history of dementia, you are at greater risk of developing the disease. However, many people with a family history never develop symptoms, and many people with no family history. Tests are available to see if you have certain genetic mutations.
- Down syndrom. In middle age, many people with Down syndrome develop early onset Alzheimer’s disease.Dementia treatment Nizamabad
Dementia can impair many body systems and thus impair their functionality. Dementia can cause:
- Poor diet. Many people with dementia at some point reduce or stop eating, which affects their nutrient intake. Ultimately, they may not be able to chew and swallow.
- Lung infection. Difficulty swallowing increases the risk of food being choked or sucked into the lungs, which can block breathing and cause pneumonia.
- Inability to perform personal care duties. As dementia progresses, bathing, dressing, brushing teeth, independent toilet use, and accurate medication can be impaired.
- Personal security challenges. Certain everyday situations can raise safety concerns for people with dementia, including driving, cooking, and walking alone.Dementia treatment Nizamabad
There is no surefire way to prevent dementia, but there are steps you can take to help. More research is needed, but it may be beneficial to do the following:
- Keep your mind active. Mentally stimulating activities such as reading, solving puzzles and word games, and memory training can delay the onset of dementia and reduce its effects.
- Be physically and socially active. Physical activity and social interactions can delay the onset of dementia and reduce its symptoms. Get more exercise and aim for 150 minutes of exercise per week.
- Stop smoking. Some studies have shown that middle-aged and beyond smoking can increase the risk of dementia and blood vessel disorders (vascular disease). Quitting smoking can lower your risk and improve your health.
- Get enough vitamins. Some research suggests that people with low levels of vitamin D in their blood are more likely to get Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. You can get vitamin D from certain foods, supplements, and exhibits.Dementia treatment Nizamabad