Breast, including lymph nodes, lobules, and ducts
Breast Anatomy Open the pop-up dialog box
Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is the presence of abnormal cells in a breast milk duct.
- DCIS is considered to be the first form of breast cancer. DCIS is non-invasive, meaning it has not spread outside the milk duct and has a low risk of becoming invasive.
- DCIS is usually detected during a mammogram, which is done to screen for breast cancer or to examine a breast mass.
- While DCIS is not an emergency, it does require evaluation and consideration of treatment options. Treatment may include breast-conserving surgery combined with radiation therapy or surgery to remove all breast tissue. A clinical trial examining active surveillance as an alternative to surgery may be another option.Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) treatment Nizamabad
DCIS usually has no signs or symptoms. However, sometimes DCIS can cause signs such as:
- A breast mass
- Bloody nipple discharge
- DCIS is usually found on a mammogram and appears as small lumps of calcification that are irregular in shape and size.
It is not known what causes DCIS. DCIS occurs when genetic mutations occur in the DNA of milk duct cells. Genetic mutations make the cells look abnormal, but the cells do not yet have the ability to escape the milk duct.
- Researchers aren’t sure what exactly is triggering the abnormal cell growth that leads to DCIS. Factors that may play a role include your lifestyle, your surroundings, and the genes your parents gave you.Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) treatment Nizamabad
Factors that can increase your risk for DCIS include:
- Increasing age
- Personal history of benign breast diseases such as atypical hyperplasia
- Family history of breast cancer
- I’ve never been pregnant before
- Having their first baby after 30
- Have your first period before the age of 12
- Menopause begins after the age of 55
- Genetic mutations that increase breast cancer risk, such as those in the breast cancer genes BRCA1 and BRCA2.Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) treatment Nizamabad