Illustration shows broken ribs
Broken Ribs Open the popup dialog
A broken rib is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your chest breaks or tears. The most common cause is a chest trauma such as a fall, a motor vehicle accident, or an impact during contact sports.
Many broken ribs are simply cracked. Cracked ribs, while still painful, are not as dangerous as ribs that have broken into pieces. A jagged edge of a broken bone can damage important blood vessels or internal organs such as the lungs. Fractured ribs Treatment in Nizamabad
Pain associated with a broken rib usually occurs or gets worse if you:
- Take a deep breath
- Tap the injured area
- Bend or twist your body
Broken ribs are most commonly caused by direct impact – such as traffic accidents, child abuse, or contact sports. Ribs can also be broken from repeated trauma from sports such as golf and rowing, or from severe, persistent coughing. Fractured ribs Treatment in Nizamabad
The following factors can increase the risk of a broken rib:
- Osteoporosis. If you have this disease in which your bones lose density, you are more prone to fractures.
- Athletic participation. Playing contact sports like hockey or soccer increases the risk of chest trauma.
- Cancer lesion in a rib. A cancerous lesion can weaken the bone, making it more prone to fractures. Fractured ribs Treatment in Nizamabad
A broken rib can damage blood vessels and internal organs. The risk increases with the number of broken ribs. Complications vary depending on which ribs break. Possible complications are:
- Ruptured or perforated aorta. A sharp end of a rupture in one of the first three ribs at the top of your chest could tear your aorta or other large blood vessel.
- Perforated lungs. The jagged end of a broken midrib can pierce a lung and cause it to collapse.
The following measures can help you avoid a broken rib:
- Protect yourself from sports injuries. Wear protective clothing during contact sports.
- Reduce the risk of falling in the house. Take the clutter off your floors and clean up spills quickly, use a rubber mat in the shower, keep your home well lit, and place a non-slip mat on carpets and rugs. Fractured ribs Treatment in Nizamabad