Group B streptococci (strep) are common bacteria that are commonly transmitted in the intestines or lower genital tract. The bacteria are generally harmless in healthy adults. However, newborn babies can develop a serious condition known as group B strep disease.
Group B strep can also cause dangerous infections in adults with certain chronic conditions, such as diabetes or liver disease. Elderly people are also at an increased risk of disease from group B strep.
If you’re a healthy adult, you don’t have to do anything about group B strep. If you’re pregnant, get tested for Group B strep in your third trimester. If you have group B strep, taking antibiotics during labor may protect your baby. Group B strep disease Treatment in warangal
- Toddlers Most babies of women with group B strep are healthy. But the few people who get Group B strep during labor can get seriously ill.
- In infants, disease caused by group B strep can occur within six hours of birth (early onset) or weeks or months after birth (late onset). Group B strep disease Treatment in warangal
Signs and symptoms can include:
- Difficulty eating
- Lethargy and lack of energy (lethargy)
- Difficulty breathing
Toddlers An infant is at increased risk of developing group B strep disease if:
- Mother carries group B strep in her body
- The baby was born prematurely (37 weeks ago)
- The mother’s water breaks 18 hours or more before birth
- The mother has an infection of the placental tissue and amniotic fluid (chorioamnionitis)
- Mother has a urinary tract infection during pregnancy
- The mother’s temperature is above 38 ° C during labor.
- The mother gave birth to a child with group B strep disease
To prevent group B bacteria from spreading to your baby during labor, your doctor may give you an IV antibiotic – usually penicillin or a related medicine – at the start of labor. If you’re allergic to penicillin and related drugs, you can also get cefazolin or clindamycin. Group B strep disease Treatment in warangal
Taking oral antibiotics early won’t help because bacteria can return before labor begins.
Antibiotic treatment during labor is also recommended if you:
- Have a urinary tract infection
- Birth of a baby with Group B strep disease.
- Develop a fever during labor
- You did not give birth to your baby within 18 hours of the water burst.