Picture shows hypospadias
Hypospadias Open the pop-up dialog box
Hypospadias (hi-poe-SPAY-dee-us) is a birth defect (congenital disease) in which the opening of the urethra is at the bottom of the penis instead of at the end. The urethra is the tube through which urine flows from your bladder into your body.
Hypospadias is common and does not cause any difficulty in caring for your baby. The surgery usually restores the normal appearance of your child’s penis. With successful treatment for hypospadias, most men can urinate and reproduce normally. Hypospadias Treatment in Nizamabad
In hypospadias, the urethral opening is at the bottom of the penis instead of the tip. In most cases, the urethral opening is located in the head of the penis. Less often, the opening is in the middle or at the base of the penis. In rare cases, the opening is in or under the scrotum.
Signs and symptoms of hypospadias can include:
- Opening of the urethra in a place other than the tip of the penis
- Downward curve of the penis (chordee)
- Hood image of the penis, as only the upper half of the penis is covered by the foreskin
- Abnormal spray when urinating
- Hypospadias is present at birth (congenital). As the penis grows in a male fetus, certain hormones stimulate the formation of the urethra and foreskin. Hypospadias occurs when there is a dysfunction in the action of these hormones that causes abnormal development of the urethra.
In most cases, the exact cause of hypospadias is unknown. Sometimes hypospadias are genetic, but the environment can also play a role.
Although the cause of hypospadias is generally unknown, these factors can be linked to the disease:
- Family history. This condition is more common in infants with a family history of hypospadias.
- Genetically. Certain genetic variations can play a role in disrupting the hormones that stimulate male genital formation.
- Maternal age over 35 years. Some research suggests that male infants born to women over the age of 35 are at increased risk of hypospadias. Hypospadias Treatment in Nizamabad