- Anatomy of the female urinary system
Female Urinary System Open popup dialog Male Urinary System Anatomy
Open Male Urinary System Pop-up Dialog
Kidney infection (pyelonephritis) is a type of urinary tract infection (UTI) that usually starts in the urethra or bladder and spreads to one or both kidneys. Kidney infection Treatment in Nizamabad
- A kidney infection requires immediate medical attention. If not handled properly, a kidney infection can permanently damage your kidneys, or the bacteria can spread to your bloodstream and cause a life-threatening infection.
- Treatment for kidney infections, which usually include antibiotics, may require hospitalization.
Signs and symptoms of a kidney infection can include:
- Pain in the back, side (flank) or groin
- stomach pain
- Frequent urination
- Strong and persistent need to urinate
- Burning or painful urination
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pus or blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Urine that smells bad or is cloudy
- Bacteria that enter your urinary tract through the tube that carries urine out of your body (urethra) can multiply and get to your kidneys. It is the number one cause of kidney infections.
- Bacteria from an infection elsewhere in your body can also spread to your kidneys through your bloodstream. Although it is unusual to develop a kidney infection, it can happen – for example, if you have an artificial joint or an infected heart valve. Kidney infection Treatment in Nizamabad
- In rare cases, kidney infection occurs after kidney surgery.
- Factors that increase your risk of kidney infections include:
- Be a woman. The urethra is shorter in women than in men, which makes it easier for bacteria to get to the bladder from outside the body. The proximity of the urethra to the vagina and anus also creates more opportunities for bacteria to enter the bladder.
- In the bladder, infection can spread to the kidneys. Pregnant women are at an even higher risk of kidney infections.
- Have a urinary tract blockage. This includes anything that slows the flow of urine or reduces your ability to empty your bladder when you urinate – including a kidney stone, something abnormal in the structure of your urinary tract, or, in men, an enlarged prostate. Kidney infection Treatment in Nizamabad
Do you have a weakened immune system? This includes conditions that alter your immune system, such as diabetes and HIV. Some medicines, such as B. Medicines to prevent rejection of transplanted organs have a similar effect.
Damage the nerves around the bladder. Damage to the nerves or spinal cord can block the feeling of a bladder infection so you won’t know when a kidney infection will occur.
- Reduce the risk of a kidney infection by taking steps to prevent urinary tract infections. Women in particular can reduce their risk of urinary tract infections if they:
- Drink fluids, especially water. Liquids can help clear bacteria from your body when you urinate.
Urinate as soon as necessary. Avoid delaying urination when you feel the need to urinate.
Empty your bladder after sex. Urinating as soon as possible after sex will help clear bacteria from the urethra and reduce the risk of infection.
Wipe gently. Wiping front to back after urinating and after a bowel movement prevents bacteria from spreading to the urethra.
Avoid using female products on the genital area. Using products like deodorant sprays on the genital area or showering can be irritating.