Legionnaires’ disease is a severe form of pneumonia – inflammation of the lungs usually caused by an infection. It is caused by a bacterium known as legionella.
Most people get Legionnaires’ disease by breathing in bacteria from water or soil. Elderly people, smokers and people with weakened immune systems are particularly susceptible to Legionnaires’ disease.
The Legionella also causes Pontiac fever, a milder illness that resembles the flu. Pontiac fever usually goes away on its own, but legionnaires’ disease if left untreated can be fatal. Although immediate antibiotic treatment usually cures Legionnaires’ disease, some people continue to have problems after treatment. Legionellosis Treatment in Nizamabad
Legionnaires’ disease usually develops two to ten days after exposure to Legionella bacteria. It often starts with the following signs and symptoms:
- a headache
- The fever can be 40 ° C or higher
- By the second or third day, you’ll develop other signs and symptoms, including:
- Cough, which can cause phlegm and sometimes blood
- shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Confusion or other mental changes
Legionella pneumophila is responsible for most cases of legionellosis. Outdoors, Legionella survive in soil and water, but rarely cause infections. However, Legionella bacteria can multiply in man-made water systems such as air conditioners.
While it is possible to get Legionnaires’ Disease through domestic plumbing, most outbreaks have occurred in large buildings, possibly because complex systems facilitate the growth and spread of bacteria. In addition, household and car air conditioners do not use water for cooling. Legionellosis Treatment in Nizamabad
Not all people exposed to Legionella get sick. You are more likely to develop the infection if you:
- Smoke. Smoking damages the lungs and makes you more prone to all types of lung infections.
- Do you have a weakened immune system? This may be the result of HIV / AIDS or certain medications, especially corticosteroids and drugs used to prevent organ rejection after a transplant.
- Suffering from chronic lung diseases or other serious illnesses. This includes emphysema, diabetes, kidney disease, or cancer.
- Are 50 years old or older. Legionellosis Treatment in Nizamabad
Legionnaires’ disease can cause a number of life-threatening complications, including:
- Apnea. It happens when the lungs can’t supply enough oxygen to the body or remove enough carbon dioxide from the blood.
- Septic shock. It happens when a severe and sudden drop in blood pressure decreases blood flow to vital organs, especially the kidneys and brain. The heart tries to compensate for this by increasing the volume of blood pumped, but the extra workload weakens the heart and decreases blood flow even further.
- Acute kidney failure. This is the sudden loss of your kidneys’ ability to filter waste products from your blood. When your kidneys fail, dangerous amounts of fluids and waste build up in your body. Legionellosis Treatment in Nizamabad
Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks are preventable, but prevention requires water management systems in buildings that ensure water is regularly monitored and cleaned.
Avoid smoking to reduce your personal risk.