Nickel allergy is a common cause of allergic contact dermatitis – an itchy rash that occurs when your skin touches a generally harmless substance.
A nickel allergy is often associated with earrings and other jewelry. However, nickel is found in many everyday items such as coins, zippers, cell phones, and eyeglass frames.
Repeated or prolonged exposure to objects containing nickel can lead to a nickel allergy. Treatments can reduce the symptoms of a nickel allergy. However, once you develop a nickel allergy, you will still be sensitive to the metal and should avoid contact. Nickel allergy Treatment in Nizamabad
An allergic reaction (contact dermatitis) usually starts a few hours to a few days after exposure to nickel. The reaction can take up to two to four weeks. The reaction usually only occurs where your skin has come into contact with nickel, but it can sometimes occur elsewhere on your body.
Signs and symptoms of a nickel allergy are:
- Rash or lumps on the skin
- Itching, which can be severe
- Redness or change in skin color
- Dry patches of skin that may look like burns
- Blisters and drainage in severe cases
- Skin rash allergic to nickel
- Nickel AllergyOpen Popup Dialog
- The exact cause of the nickel allergy is unknown. As with other allergies, nickel allergy develops when your immune system views nickel as a harmful rather than a harmless substance. Usually, your immune system only reacts to protect your body from bacteria, viruses, or toxic substances.
As soon as your body has developed a reaction to a certain active substance (allergen) – in this case nickel – your immune system is still sensitive to it. This means that every time you come into contact with nickel, your immune system reacts and causes an allergic reaction.
Certain factors can increase your risk of developing a nickel allergy, including:
Have ear or body piercings. Because nickel is common in jewelry, nickel allergy is most commonly associated with earrings and other piercing jewelry that contains nickel.
Working with metal. If you work in an industry where you are constantly exposed to nickel, the risk of developing an allergy may be higher than someone who does not work with the metal.
In addition, people who are regularly exposed to nickel during “wet work” – due to sweat or frequent contact with water – are more likely to develop a nickel allergy. These people can include bartenders, people who work in certain food industries, and household cleaners.
Other people who are at increased risk of being allergic to nickel include metal workers, tailors, and hairdressers.
The best strategy to prevent the development of a nickel allergy is to avoid prolonged exposure to items containing nickel. If you already have a nickel allergy, the best way to prevent an allergic reaction is to avoid contact with the metal.
Avoiding nickel, however, is not always easy because it is present in so many products. Home test kits are available that can be used to check for the presence of nickel in metal objects. Nickel allergy Treatment in Nizamabad