- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (a-my-o-TROE-fik LAT-ur-ul skluh-ROE-sis) or ALS is a progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord and results in loss of muscle control. .
- ALS is often referred to as Lou Gehrig’s disease, named after the baseball player who was diagnosed. Doctors usually don’t know why ALS occurs. Some cases are inherited. Sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral treatment in Nizamabad
The signs and symptoms of ALS vary widely from person to person, depending on the neurons affected. Signs and symptoms can include:
- Difficulty walking or doing normal daily activities
- Trip and fall
- Weakness in the leg, feet, or ankle
- Weakness or clumsiness of the hand
- Blurred speech or difficulty swallowing
ALS affects the nerve cells that control voluntary muscle movements such as walking and speaking (motor neurons). ALS causes the progressive deterioration of motor neurons, followed by their death. Motor neurons extend from the brain to the spinal cord to muscles throughout the body. When the motor neurons are damaged, they stop sending messages to the muscles, causing the muscles to stop working. Sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral treatment in Nizamabad
ALS is inherited by 5% to 10% of people. Otherwise the cause is unknown.
Established risk factors for ALS include:
Inheritance. Five to 10 percent of people with ALS have inherited it (familial ALS). For most people with familial ALS, their children have a 50-50 chance of developing the disease.
Age. The risk of ALS increases with age and is more common between the ages of 40 and the mid-60s.
Sex. Before the age of 65, slightly more men than women develop ALS. This gender difference disappears after 70 years.
In the course of the disease, ALS leads to complications such as:
- Difficulty breathing
- Over time, ALS paralyzes the muscles that you breathe with. You may need a device that allows you to breathe at night, much like someone with sleep apnea could wear. For example, you may be given continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or two-stage positive airway pressure (BiPAP) to help you breathe better at night. Sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral treatment in Nizamabad