- Sjogren’s syndrome (SHOW grins) is a disorder of your immune system identified by the two most common symptoms – dry eyes and dry mouth.
- The disease is often associated with other immune system disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. In Sjogren’s syndrome, the mucous membranes and the moisture-secreting glands in the eyes and mouth are usually affected first, which leads to a decrease in tears and saliva. Sjogren’s syndrome treatment in Nizamabad
- Location of the salivary glands
Salivary glands Open the popup dialog
The two main symptoms of Sjogren’s syndrome are:
- Dry eyes. Your eyes may burn, itch, or feel rough – like there is sand in them.
Dry mouth. Your mouth appears full of cotton wool, which makes it difficult to swallow or speak. Sjogren’s syndrome treatment in Nizamabad
- \Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disease. Your immune system mistakenly attacks the body’s own cells and tissues.
- Scientists don’t know why some people develop Sjogren’s syndrome. Certain genes put people at higher risk of developing the disorder, but it seems that some triggering mechanism – like infection with a specific virus or strain of bacteria – is also required.
- In Sjogren’s syndrome, your immune system first targets the glands that produce tears and saliva. But it can also damage other parts of the body, e.g.
Sjogren’s syndrome usually occurs in people with one or more known risk factors, including:
- Age. Sjogren’s syndrome is usually diagnosed in people over 40.
- Sex. Women are much more likely to have Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Rheumatic disease. People with Sjogren’s syndrome also often have rheumatic diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus.
The most common complications of Sjogren’s syndrome affect the eyes and mouth.
- Tooth cavities. Because saliva protects teeth from bacteria that cause cavities, you’re more likely to develop cavities when your mouth is dry.
- Yeast infections. People with Sjogren’s syndrome are much more likely to develop oral thrush, a yeast infection in the mouth.
- Vision problems. Dry eyes can lead to sensitivity to light, blurred vision, and corneal damage. Sjogren’s syndrome treatment in Nizamabad